Jekyll and Hyde

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Jekyll and Hyde

Postby andrewbeasley » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:47 pm

kawasaki wrote:Anyone still watching this?

Sure am and enjoying every minute. No idea where its going but the journey is great :D
andrewbeasley

Postby Hastati » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:30 am

andrewbeasley wrote:
kawasaki wrote:Anyone still watching this?

Sure am and enjoying every minute. No idea where its going but the journey is great :D

Yes. I came to the series quite late. It's totally bonkers, but in a good way.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Levied Troop » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:52 am

A very good updating, similar to Penny Dreadful - an excuse to throw in every bit of fiction they can think of but with a more crash, bang,wallop approach. Good fun :D
The bats have left the bell tower, the victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box, Bela Lugosi's dead
Levied Troop

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Just got this on DVD.

When I saw the ranty dog man I knew I'd made a horrible mistake, but the guy with the rubber lobster claw and the stupid Power Ranger quality rubber faced ghouls... :(

It really was shockingly bad. It's a shame, the basic idea has potential and I even liked some of the actors even if they were chewing the scenery terribly.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Jakar Nilson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:37 am

Australian Dawn wrote:Just got this on DVD.

When I saw the ranty dog man I knew I'd made a horrible mistake, but the guy with the rubber lobster claw and the stupid Power Ranger quality rubber faced ghouls... :(

It really was shockingly bad. It's a shame, the basic idea has potential and I even liked some of the actors even if they were chewing the scenery terribly.

Chewing the scenery was pretty much the best thing about it. When they aired it on CBC, the final scene had that "we really want another season but we'll never get it" feel to it.
"There are those that claim that war is all glory, but I can tell you it is all hell." -William Tecumseh Sherman

http://dp9forum.com/aurora/ Read Alfie's Tenners, every second month in Aurora magazine!
Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:03 pm

The tone was certainly was more Van Helsing movie than Penny Dreadful TV series IMHO.
If they'd worked more literary characters into it I would probably have liked it more. Having established that 19th century characters exist and being set in the 1930s they would have had a lot to draw on.
I thought it was a bit sad that they played their Spring Heeled Jack as a comical incompetent.
Also they had a nasty habit of killing off characters just as they were getting interesting.
The constant growling whenever Jekyll so much as turned his head was a bit OTT as well, like a cliché pirate constantly going ARHHHH. :lol:
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Previous

Return to TV Zone