State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Macunaima » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 am

Guest wrote:It isn't a question of a safe space. It is about the level of personal animus and deliberate attempts to impact search result engines that caused GA to leave (though he seems to keep drifting back, despite wisdom offered to the contrary which he is too bull headed to heed).

I don't think anyone here objects to being called a stupid cunt, dickwad, fucking idiot, and many of the other congenial terms of endearment thrown about. But in his case, it got downright nasty.

If I were him, I'd have left long before it got to where it has and never looked back.

Point of order: no one was trying to influence the search engine results for GA.
Macunaima

Postby I was there » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:46 am

Condottiero wrote:Very Biblical to Enforce the Law...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When Jesus saw the money lenders in the temple, he famously shook their hands and congratulated them on their sound business sense.
I was there

Postby It's likely » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 am

Voice From Limbo wrote:"He's thought about this issue for years".

No doubt while rubbing his hands together in anticipation,

I think Sessions can only get an erection by thinking of crying children.
It's likely

Postby McKinstry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 am

Very Biblical to Enforce the Law...

All in favor of stoning a certain orange adulterer please step forward.
McKinstry

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:22 am

Who stuffs up once again ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-15/d ... ke/9873456 Technically aren't they still at war?
Etranger2

Postby Bronshtein » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am

I love the looks on the Koreans faces. :D
Bronshtein

Postby Macunaima » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:12 pm

God, they are already going with the “tweak Donnie ‘till he bursts” tactic, aren’t they?
Macunaima

Postby Condottiero » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette fires anti-Trump cartoonist, and mayor says it sends ‘wrong message about press freedoms’
IN RECENT WEEKS, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette spiked numerous cartoons by Rob Rogers that were critical of President Trump, as The Washington Post reported last week.

On Thursday, Post-Gazette management resolved the matter by firing Rogers, who had been the paper’s political cartoonist for a quarter-century.

Here's hoping another paper will snap him up, though on the bright side they're not jailing satirists yet, like in Turkey and charged with associated with FETO.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Condottiero » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Sessions says the Bible justifies separating immigrant families. The verses he cited are infamous.

When British subjects in the original 13 colonies started rolling up their sleeves for the fight for independence in the 1770s, loyalist preachers hammered on a particular Bible verse from their pulpits. The words were meant to ice down the heated dissent and remind the upstarts to heed their British masters.

When Southern preachers blasted Northern abolitionists for defying the Fugitive Slave Act in the decade leading to the Civil War, they cited the same lines.

And on Thursday, when Attorney General Jeff Sessions stood at a lectern before a room in Fort Wayne, Ind., to defend the Trump administration’s practice of separating children from their immigrant parents, he reached for the same quote from the 13th chapter of the New Testament book of Romans.

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained the government for his purposes,” the nation’s top law enforcement official said, The Washington Post reported. “Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves. Consistent, fair application of the law is in itself a good and moral thing, and that protects the weak and protects the lawful.”

Whether he realized it, Sessions restarted a theological debate that stretches far beyond American politics and passes through some of the darkest swamps of recent history.

The passage — “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God” — has been read as an unequivocal order for Christians to obey state authority, a reading that not only justified Southern slavery but also authoritarian rule in Nazi Germany and South African apartheid.

But because the interpretation runs counter to so much of the Christian message, and drills right into the borderlands between church and state, the passage has also been incredibly controversial. In 1744, clergyman Elisha Williams remarked that the text was “often wrecked and tortured by such wits as were disposed to serve the designs of arbitrary power.” Sessions’s comments yesterday kicked up a similarly intense response.

Brony might've approved of Romans 13 in 1775, even though he's old school...

When I was younger, I would've said that government representatives in Western secular society shouldn't be reciting passages from religious texts in public announcements, but has since lost the verve.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Voice From Limbo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Next up: Ephesians. "Slaves, obey your masters".
Voice From Limbo

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot