How Many Wars Has the USA Actually Won?

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: How Many Wars Has the USA Actually Won?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm

guesty mcguest cunt wrote:Isn't Rebby adorable when he's being a patriotic chest thumper?

:)

I hardly recognized him, the Commie bastard.

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 am

rebelyell2006 wrote:The British weren't even fighting alone in Burma, it was the Chinese and the British, with help from the USA. Couldn't even handle their own campaign in the Pacific.

Burma is nowhere near the Pacific. The Chinese 'contribution' was minor at best. Chang-Kai Shek was far more interested in building up his forces for the ongoing Chinese Civil War, helped by all those supplies over the Burma Road & elsewhere. Have a read of Barbara Tuchman's Sand Against the Wind https://www.amazon.com/Sand-Against-Win ... 0333131037 for a balanced appraisal.
Etranger2

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:55 am

rebelyell2006 wrote:I see JJCH is going for blind Australian patriotism...

Not really, the 5 divisions of the 1st AIF first stopped, & then reversed the losses of the Kaiserschlat. That isn't to say that otehrs couldn't have done the same thing (notably the Canadian Corps, who were as good) but in 1918 the AIF was the elite fighting formation on the allied side.
Etranger2

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 am

Voice From Limbo wrote:My point,Mac, was, as I said, that there would likely not have been a 1918 offensive, if not for the fact that the Germans realized that the US entry would tip the balance. It was a desperate attempt to win in the West before that happened.

.. and before the country starved to death.
Etranger2

Postby rebelyell2006 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:00 am

Burma is nowhere near the Pacific? Have you ever looked at a map?
rebelyell2006

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:08 am

rebelyell2006 wrote:Burma is nowhere near the Pacific? Have you ever looked at a map?

Studied CBI in rather more detail than you have I suspect. It's on the Indian Ocean. South China Sea is on the other side of the Peninsula. It's 2600 km from Rangoon to Manila, only 1500 km less than New York to San Francisco. Even Hanoi (on the South China Sea) is 1800 km away.
Etranger2

Postby Bronshtein » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am

My father was in the 49th Motor Launch Flotilla B Fairmiles SANF. They were based out of Vizagapatam and Chittagong and spent most of their time fighting their way down the Arakan coast, harassing the Japanese, landing commandos, raiding parties, agents and saboteurs, carrying out reconnaissance for the big set piece amphibious hops down the coast like the Ramree Island invasion. They would be miles inland in the chaungs - mangrove swamp creeks, inlets and small rivers, surrounded by the enemy, waiting to make agent pick ups, ambushing Japanese units, destroying infrastructure.

I'm sure it was a comfort to him knowing it was a sideshow that didn't matter 8) - apart from stopping the invasion of India, the setting up of a pro Axis state all the way to Persia and the diversion of all those resources, not to mention the interdiction of supplies to that other also ran - Russia.

Got him a cuise and a suntan I suppose. :D
Bronshtein

Postby JJCH nli » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 am

My grandfather’s twin brother caught some shrapnel from a German bomb off Salerno. I suppose he was equally comforted at the notion of being in a sideshow.

Of course one man’s sideshow is another man’s main front. It’s a sad and rather disgusting truth that Australian airmen serving in Bomber Command were frequent recipients of white feathers, cos they were allegedly serving in a cozy billet in England rather than fighting the Japanese in the sideshow to end all sideshows. The fact that the casualty rates in Bomber Command (a mortality rate of around 45%) made New Guinea and the SWP look like a Sunday School picnic didn’t come into the equation.
JJCH nli

Postby Macunaima » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:11 pm

My stepfather flew 40 missions in a B-17 over Germany. Fairly sideshowish, too.
I don’t think that JJ Parus of Virginia Beach has sex with canines. The phase “dogfucker” and imputations that JJ is intimate with chiuahuas are to be understood as metaphors for my disgust at his repeating of alt-right fake news and racist memes.
Macunaima

Postby guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Macunaima wrote:My stepfather flew 40 missions in a B-17 over Germany. Fairly sideshowish, too.

I thought the Yanks did 25 missions and home.

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot